The U 16 Scorpions is our intermediate elite level program. Our focus is to build on the work done by coaches at the U 14 level. A continued effort to teach young lacrosse players the essential base and advanced fundamentals and of the game is maintained. It is our continued belief that player development occurs through personalized instruction, maximum repetition and exposure to game-like situations. The goal to have each participant enjoy himself, work hard, improve his skills, and have a better understanding of the game of lacrosse remains central to program. In addition to this goal, increased focus on competitive training, advanced skill development and offensive/defensive sets is undertaken. To test the development of individuals in the program, the U16 Scorpions travel to a major tournament in the United States.
Coaches will incorporate a variety of exercises and drills in order to strengthen players’ weaknesses and to broaden their set of skills. Coaching will look to:
Build on the work of the U 14 program to develop young and determined lacrosse players.
Utilized advanced drills and exercises so that each player is prepared to compete at an increasingly demanding level of lacrosse in Saskatchewan and Canada.
Provide young and determined lacrosse players an environment that emphasizes a commitment to working hard, to having fun, and to demonstrating good sportsmanship.
Teach young and determined lacrosse players core values that are relevant to the game of lacrosse while committed to improving your son’s lacrosse skills and cultivating his competitive spirit.
Increase the competitive training and competition cycle of young and determined lacrosse players.
The instruction will cover a wide range of the game’s fundamental components:
1. Advanced throwing and catching movements.
2. Advanced shooting techniques with a focus of shooting on the run.
3. Offensive principles – advanced dodging and feeding on the move to fit team offensive systems.
4. Game speed transition and unsettled situational play.
5. Defense principles – Advanced 1v1 checks, footwork, and angle play.
6. Advanced slide packages to fit team defensive schemes.
7. Advanced offensives schemes and team concepts, 2-2-2, 3-1-2, and 1-4-1 sets.
8. Offensive goalie play
9. Face-off and wing play